VEGAN CHOCOLATE AND ORANGE BROWNIE – DIRT POP-UP
With Veganuary in full flow, this month’s Find My Dine recipe is courtesy of Chef’s Gareth O’ Hara and Stuart Pelham from the ever popular Dirt Pop-up in Cardiff. Just in case you missed out on one of the highly sought-after tickets for their February Vegan event (they sold out in 48 hours), we thought we’d soften the blow by sharing the recipe for their vegan treat of chocolate and orange brownie, with orange jelly and orange sorbet. Enjoy!
For the brownie:
2 tbsp ground flaxseed
200g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
½ tsp coffee granules
80g vegan margarine, plus extra for greasing
125g self-raising flour
70g ground almonds
50g cocoa powder
¼ tsp baking powder
250g golden caster sugar
1½ tsp vanilla extract
For the jelly:
200ml orange juice
3g Agar Agar
For the sorbet:
300ml orange juice
Fresh orange segments
Chocolate coconut shards
- Heat oven to 170°C/150°C fan/gas mark 3½. Grease and line a 20cm square tin with baking parchment. Combine the flaxseed with 6 tbsp water and set aside for at least 5 mins.
- In a saucepan, melt 120g of chocolate, the coffee and margarine with 60ml water on a low heat. Allow to cool slightly.
- Put the flour, almonds, cocoa, baking powder and ¼ tsp salt in a bowl and stir to remove any lumps. Using a hand whisk, mix the sugar into the melted chocolate mixture, and beat well until smooth and glossy, ensuring all the sugar is well dissolved. Stir in the flaxseed mixture, vanilla extract and remaining chocolate, then the flour mixture. Spoon into the prepared tin. Bake for 35-45mins.
- Heat the orange juice for the jelly over a low heat, add the sugar until dissolved. Turn up the heat until the mixture boils and add the Agar Agar powder. Whisk thoroughly then place in the fridge to cool.
- Place ingredients for the sorbet into an ice cream machine and turn until frozen. Set aside in freezer.
- Slice brownie into desired shape. garnish with orange jelly, shards, mint, orange segments and sorbet.